How Building Automation Technology Can Provide Resilience During Hurricane Season

Building Automation Technology

Learn why building automation is a great addition to help with hurricane preparedness.

In Florida, hurricane season is upon us and now is the time to start thinking about hurricane preparedness for yourself and your business. If you are a business owner or manager, building automation is a great addition to help with hurricane preparedness.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is expecting an Atlantic hurricane season that is more active than normal in 2020. NOAA is expecting somewhere between 13 and 19 storms and forecasters believe that 6 to 10 of these storms may become hurricanes while 3 to 6 of them may also become major hurricanes, meaning high winds. Percentages according to NOAA states that there is a 60% chance, or above, for a hurricane season that is above average, a 30% chance of a normal hurricane season and only a 10% chance of a hurricane season that is below normal.

The start of hurricane season begins June 1 and continues through November but that doesn’t mean that there can be storms that fall out of the hurricane season. This year there has already been a Tropical Storm that popped up in May. Last year’s season named 18 storms, 6 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes which were Humberto, Dorian and Lorenzo.

This year’s hurricane season is believed to be above average due to the lack of El Nino as well as sea temperatures in the Atlantic and Caribbean are higher than normal. If you are a business owner you may be wondering about hurricane preparedness in your business and how building automation can provide resilience during hurricane season. Continue reading to learn more about hurricane preparedness through building automation.

Building Automation’s Role in Hurricane Preparedness

Building automation technology puts together a network of operating electrical and mechanical products within a building and then uses the network to collect and assess data. This type of technological network allows building owners and managers to gain insights into how the building is running, it’s system maintenance, energy use, conditions of power and overall health of equipment.

Take for example a hospital, with building automation systems, hospitals are able to take all the precautions necessary to ensure the safety of their patients and staff. Building Automation systems allow operations personnel to make emergency power systems automated while remotely monitoring power conditions and overall performance not only during but before and after a storm.

Continuing with the example of a hospital, a building automation system makes it possible for small facilities teams to analyze data and identify problems with equipment and address them. Making it possible to quickly and efficiently access and analyze building data is critical to the operation of hospitals, and many other businesses, and is even more important during emergency situations such as hurricanes.

4 Ways Building Automation Can Help During Emergencies

Building automation can help buildings prepare, and continue to operate during emergencies because of the following reasons:

  • Power Quality – Building Automation can look at the power quality can identify problems in regards to the health of the electrical systems. This is extremely important when it comes to maintaining power during and after a storm. It is important to quickly address power quality issues to ensure that there are no larger issues father down the road.
  • Prepare For Outages – With the likelihood of losing power, operation management teams will turn to power through generators. With an integrated building automation system, the ability to assess the usage and load of power equipment becomes much easier. These systems can also complete testing to ensure that things will work, even with the power is out.
  • Protect Data – If the worst case scenario was to occur, data can be backed up into the building automation database and therefore easily recovered in the future.
  • Emergency Mode – The building automation system can be controlled remotely and can be placed in emergency mode, even at a distance. This means that all non-critical equipment usage can be stopped, temperatures can be changed and security setting can be adjusted to the need.

If you are looking for help in getting your business ready for hurricane season, we are here to help. Advanced Control Corporation located in South Florida is here to help your business get ready, every step of the way. Contact us today to find out more.